In late 2011 the gardens were basically rebuilt using local materials with all work being done by local artisans including stonemasons, landscapers and carpenters. The sandstone forming the beautiful ‘circle’ was cut from a local quarry, trucked in and then lowered into place with a crane and backhoe. There is extensive drainage under all the turf and much of the grass and all plants and trees are irrigated from water harvested at Grays Inn and stored in large tanks on each side of the building. The drainage system was severely tested during the continuous heavy rains in 2011 and really proved its worth. The sandstone forming the edges of the garden beds came from the Byora property in Milsons Arm, Wollombi that was selected and settled by James Milson in 1823. This sandstone was cut by convicts working for the Milson family on Byora. At night the gardens come alive. Spotlights highlight many of the trees, the stone wall and the slab hut at the back, with other low lights along the perimeter and the buxus and rosemary hedges.